Saturday, July 21, 2007

Randomness of sport (summer edition)

I watched the LA Galaxy - Chelsea 'friendly' tonight (mostly between innings of the Tigers game).. Or should I call it the David Beckham ESPN media circus/kiss ass night? It made my heart happy to hear a 'Beckham sucks' chant as the game ended.. My only hope is that with soccer's new found momentum in the states (yes, more people are starting to pay attention) one of my favorite sports will not be dumbed down for the American audience.. I am very content to follow sports that enjoy a grass roots kind of novelty in this country (soccer and to a lesser extent hockey)..


Speaking of the Tigers, Inges dramatic 10th inning walkoff not only saved 'rollercoasters' ass but also landed the 3rd sacker in the number 1 slot on SC's plays of the night. Jones probably could have ended the game in the 9th if he got off his fat ass and actually tried to field a ball.. 3 straight dribblers went right through the mound and all 3 times he waived as they went by..
The Tigers negro league jerseys rank right up there with the Lions throwback IMO.. They are now in my top 5..



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was away for the weekend so I missed the chants of "Beckham sucks" but will say I find that very funny. Maybe Becks will spur some interest in soccer... um... futbal. Maybe he'll be the A-Rod of soccer...or the Jeff Gordon of soccer...or the Kobe of soccer. I hate Kobe...and now Vick too. Dear NFL, I am waiting for the suspension of M. Vick. He deserves at least 3 games for now just for lying that he didn't know what went on at his house. Once found guilty sit his @$$ for a yea... oh wait, maybe he wont be...OJ!

As for the Tigers negro league throwbacks they are sweet!